Below freezing temps ended just in time for the 30th annual Hot Air Affair in Hudson the weekend of Feb. 1.
The torchlight parade lit up Second Street in downtown Hudson Friday night.
Low winds allowed for a mass ascension Saturday morning, with nearly all the balloons taking off at the EP Rock Elementary launch field.
Saturday night's Field of Fire event brought the heat, with pilots and crew lighting up the flames of their hot air balloons.
Events continued throughout the weekend with smoosh boarding, kite flying, a treasure drop,
Captain Jack meet and greet, a chili cook-off and more.
Local residents and visitors won many participatory events. Here are some of the winners:
Pirates' Treasure Drop, sponsored by Image House. All proceeds to the Hudson Police Department Canine Unit:
• First place: Cheryl Gender, Minnetonka, Minn.
• Second place: Kris Munson, Clayton
• Third place: Ray Griffith, Minnetonka, Minn.
Landowner prize for allowing hot air balloon to land on private property:
• John See who lives on Stagecoach Trail North, Hudson
• Pilot: Chris Keefe, Cross Plains
Hot Air Affair School Presentations with Pilots:
• Glenn O'Connell, Gilberts, Il Trinity Academy, Hudson
• Mark Naber, Big Bend, St. Croix Central Elementary, Roberts
• Pete Asp, Sullivan, Afton/Lakeland Elementary, Lakeland, Minn.
• Ken Walter, Waukesha, E.P. Rock Elementary, Hudson
• Glenn O'Connell, Gilberts, Il Westside Elementary, River Falls