Hastings Parks and Recreation Department will be holding its third annual Make Music Day on Friday, June 21.
To celebrate the day, residents are invited to grab chairs and blankets and head down to various parks around town to relax and listen to some tunes. Different musicians, both groups and individuals, will be playing throughout the day from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
To mix it up this year, there will be free music book and harmonica giveaways throughout the day to inspire event goers to make music themselves.
Celebrations of Make Music Day are held on the same day every year in 1,000 cities and more than 120 countries around the world. The event originated in France in 1982 when its Ministry of Culture wanted a holiday that provided free music for everyone.
The show will go on rain or shine. In the event of rain, Make Music Day will be held at the Railway Gallery at the Hastings Artspace River Lofts, located at 121 Tyler St.
Make Music Day Schedule
• Pat Schmid's Riverboat Joymakers, Dixieland Jazz Band, 7-8 a.m., Public Square Park
• Nick Fox, Rock, Folk and Alternative, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Levee Park
• Mark Swan, Acoustic Rock and Country, 10-11 a.m., Roadside Park
• Popgun Johnson & the Messy Sloppy 7, Kids Folk and Singalong Band, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Levee Park
• The Night Light Chasers, Alternative Folk Rock Band, 1-2 p.m., Lions Park
• 8LivesDown, Variety Cover Band, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Levee Park
• The Montys, Indie Rock Band, 4-5 p.m., Vermillion Falls Park
• Hastings Sings / Minnesota Sing Showcase, Various Singers, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Levee Park
• Nathan Griner, Acoustic Folk Rock, 7-8 p.m., Oliver's Grove Park
• South Washington County Community Band, Music for All Ages, 8-9 p.m., Levee Park