Utah sophomore Ryan Wilson won the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Associate Alpine Qualifier in giant slalom on Jan. 14.
He posted a time of 1 minute, 52.29 seconds at the qualifier held at Big Sky, Mont.
Wilson, a Red Wing graduate, also finished fourth in the giant slalom and sixth in the slalom at the Utah Invitational held Jan. 8 and 9.
- A pitcher for the Miesville Mudhens can now add a new title to his resume -- St. Thomas head baseball coach. Chris Olean served as the interim head coach for about a year after the retirement of long-time coach Dennis Denning.
Olean led the 2010 Tommies to a 35-9 record, and he became the first Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rookie coach in 10 seasons in any sport to lead a team to a sweep of both regular-season and playoff championships.
Olean was an All-American pitcher for St. Thomas and he is a member of the school's athletic hall of fame. He served as a pitching coach for nine seasons under Denning.
- Freshman diver Turner Eckstrom is third on the top-scores list for the Minnesota men's swimming and diving team. The Red Wing graduate placed fourth and seventh in 1- and 3-meter diving, respectively, in a dual meet Jan. 15 at home versus Missouri. He posted scores of 295.95 (1-meter) and 260.02 (3-meter).
- Michaela Holm, a freshman swimmer for Gustavus Adolphus, placed third in both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events in a dual meet against MIAC opponent Carleton Jan. 14.
She swam to times of 1 minute 15.74 seconds (100) and 2:43.50 (200) for the breaststroke. The Red Wing graduate also was part of the fourth-place 200 medley relay, which tied with another Gustavus team, that finished in 2:01.74.
- In 17 games with Wisconsin-Stout, women's basketball sophomore Amanda Daleiden has recorded 57 points, tallied 49 rebounds and averaged 3.4 points per game.
She is fourth on the team in rebounds, averaging 2.9 per game, and she ranks third in offensive rebounds with 21.
Daleiden, a graduate of Plum City, scored five points and grabbed one rebound in a 73-68 win Wednesday over UW-Superior. UW-Stout holds a 7-10 overall record and is 2-6 in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Men's basketball player Caleb Rosenow continues to lead the way in the rebounds category for the Carleton Knights.
In a home 86-55 win over Macalester on Monday, the junior from Red Wing matched his career high with nine boards to lead the team. Rosenow tied with teammate Carter Biewen to lead the team with four rebounds in a 56-51 loss at Gustavus on Jan. 15.
Through 14 games, Rosenow leads the team with 73 total rebounds (27 offensive, 46 defensive); he averages 5.2 per game. He has led the Knights in rebounds in seven games this season.
He's also second in points with 140.