Those wanting to choose the public school district their children will attend next year have a chance to do so from Feb. 6-24. State law allows Wisconsin kids to attend public school in a school district other than the one they live in.

The completed application must be submitted to the non-resident school district between Feb. 6 and 24. Early and late applications aren't accepted.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

Parents may request that a child be enrolled in a specific school or program. Those requests aren't guaranteed and are subject to the availability of space and other limitations.

Students who were accepted and attended school in a non-resident school district last school year will, in most cases, not have to reapply to attend the non-resident school district.

Notification by mail of approval or denial will be postmarked by April 6.

Transportation is the responsibility of the parent. However, reimbursement of some transportation cost is available for low-income parents whose children are eligible for free or reduced-priced lunches under the federal school-lunch program.

Online application is recommended by following the link found on the River Falls School District home page at

Paper forms may be obtained from any public school district or from the Department of Public Instruction.

More information is available on the DPI web site at; from Ann at the River Falls School District central office at 425-1800 ext. 1100; or Mary Jo Cleaver at the DPI, 888-245-2732 or by email at