Harel Chiropractic Clinic of Hudson notified approximately 3,000 patients Tuesday of a breach of unsecured personal patient information after discovering the following event. The following information was sent in a news release:
1. On November 20, 2014, it was discovered that some of patient’s personal information may have been breached on November 4, 2014 by a (then) current employee and contract chiropractor. The employee and contracted chiropractor would have access to this information, as part of normal job duties. The employee and contracted chiropractor resigned shortly after the breach.
2. Patient’s name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, social security number, and insurance information may have been breached and removed. It is important to note that no credit card, bank account, or any financial information was accessed. All indications at this time are that the information was removed solely for the purpose of soliciting patients.
3. While there is no evidence to believe that any financial information has been accessed, patients may want to contact one of the toll-free numbers listed below to place a fraud alert on their credit report. This can help prevent an identity thief from using your credit for opening accounts in your name. As soon as the credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the other two credit bureaus will automatically be notified to place alerts on your credit report, and all three credit reports will be sent to you free of charge.
--Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
--Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013-9532
--TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289, www.transunion.com; P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
1. Harel Chiropractic Clinic is committed to providing quality care, including protecting patient’s personal information. We are doing everything we can to investigate and rectify this situation.
2. If a patient feels that their information has been used inappropriately or has any questions related to this notice, please notify Dr. Harel (by phone 715 386-0511 or email -- firstname.lastname@example.org). Harel Chiropractic Clinic will assist any patient to make sure the proper authorities are involved. We have established a section on our Website (http://www.harelchiropractic.com/hipaa-update-2015.html) with updated information, and options available to you, if your personal information has been compromised.
In conjunction with law enforcement and security experts retained by our attorney (Ryan Magnus, Jones and Magnus, 212 Madison Avenue, Mankato, MN, 507-385-4488), Harel Chiropractic Clinic is working to notify impacted patients and mitigate the potential damages from the breach. Harel Chiropractic Clinic has in place multiple safeguards to ensure the privacy and security of all patient health and financial information. As a result of the breach, further scrutiny is underway to improve the security of its operations and eliminate future risks.
“Harel Chiropractic Clinic understands the importance of safeguarding our patients’ personal information and takes the responsibility very seriously,” said Dr. Annette Harel, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We will do all we can to work with our patients whose personal information may have been compromised and help them work through the process. We regret this incident has occurred, and we are committed to prevent future such occurrences. We appreciate our patient’s support during this time.”