The St. Croix Central School Board approved the first reading of the High School grade recommendations. The Board considered changes to five elements to the grading process.
The first element is students would be allowed to audit one class at their choosing. What this means is that the student would participate in the class regularly, but the credit the student receives would not affect the student's grade point average. This is to help students who may have trouble with a particular class, but do not want their grade to negatively affect their GPA.
The second change would be a move from 22 credits required for graduation to 24 credits required. The two additional credits would be at the student's discretion.
The third and fourth elements the Board is considering include moving to a 12 point grading scale with 98 percent counting as an A plus. A pluses are currently not part of the grading scale at SCC.
Lastly, student assistants, who help teachers with classes will be counted as a pass or fail grade. Presently student assistants are given grades for the help they give to teachers.
The proposed changes will take effect for the 2008-09 freshman class at SCC.
In other business:
- Jamie Bisch, a SCC graduate, was recognized for receiving the WIAC All Sportsmanship Recognition Award for playing football at UW-River Falls. Mark Sanders was also recognized for receiving the WIAC All Sportsmanship Recognition Award for running cross country at UW-Eau Claire.
- The Middle School Student Council Advisor position was changed from one position split by two people to two full extra curricular positions. The positions will be filled by Laura Riba and Karen Loenser. Riba and Loenser are the two filling the present split position.
- The elementary remains at 558 students, the same number as last month's Board meeting. Kindergarten and first grade each lost one student enrollment while Early Childhood gained two students.
The Middle School enrollment remained the same at 379 students and the High School gained one student, upping the enrollment there to 358 students.
- The Board created a position description for the district technology coordinator. The position description will be given a second reading at the January Board meeting.
- The Board approved a leave of absence for Beth Lindberg, Middle School library aide. Lindberg is taking classes to get her teachers certificate.
- The St. Croix Central School Board regularly meets on the third Monday of each month in the Middle School library at 7 p.m. The public is invited to attend.