A Hudson resident will receive a substantial fine for a fire that got away from him last week.

A $200 fine for burning without a permit will be issued by the town of Hudson and the total could go up to $500 for disobeying the outdoor burning ban.

The Hudson Fire Department and EMS were dispatched to a grass fire around 2:30 p.m. July 12 at 510 Country View Road.

Dale Polinske said he called the fire department after a fire broke out on his front lawn from some cardboard he was burning along his driveway, he said.

The wind swept the cardboard into the yard, according to the fire report.

About one acre of grass was burned in the front yard and into the adjoining property. Trees and other plants in the yard did not catch fire.

The fire that started in Polinske's front yard extended to the road and into his neighbor's yard, 512 Country View Road, to a wooden deck.

Two fire trucks were on the scene, and it took firefighters about 10 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

An outdoor burning ban is in effect for the city of Hudson, village of North Hudson and towns of Troy and Hudson because of the increasingly dry conditions. The ban continues until a significant amount of rainfall occurs and grass finally turns green again.

The department was also sent to another residence at Alexander Road around 4 p.m. where a controlled burn was taken place, said Hudson Fire Chief Jim Frye.

The resident was told to put it out, and no damage was reported, Frye said.

The residence will also be issued a similar fine from the town of Hudson for burning without a permit and during a ban.