Local and state officials are investigating a garage fire that injured one person and damaged the attached home.

The state fire marshal’s office was called in to investigate the Sunday morning fire at 8062 Jensen Ave., where the garage was destroyed, one resident suffered burns and the house suffered smoke damage.

Firefighters were called at 12:57 a.m. The garage was engulfed when crews arrived.

Cottage Grove Fire Chief Rick Redenius said a male resident discovered the fire and helped get five or six other people out of the home safely. He suffered burns and was being treated early this week. Other residents suffered smoke inhalation but were treated and released from an area hospital.

The house is a rental property owned by Eugenio Serrato. The renters could not be reached for comment by press time.

An explosion while firefighters were on scene likely was caused by an air compressor or propane tank in the garage, Redenius said.

The size of the fire, the number of people inside and their injuries prompted the request for help from the state fire marshal, he said.

The fire was limited to the garage, but the house sustained smoke damage.