MADISON - A Prescott man was sentenced Tuesday, Aug. 1 in federal court to 10.5 years in prison followed by 20 years supervised release on his second conviction for possessing child pornography.

Grady M. Riley, 42, was arrested on July 8, 2016 by state and local authorities who were executing a search warrant at his father's residence. Grady attempted to flee but was soon apprehended without incident, said District Judge William Conley.

Authorities seized three cells phone and media storage cards from Riley that contained 739 images, some of a minor under 12 years of age, according the indictment.

Many of the images depicted sexual abuse of minors.

Riley told law enforcement that he downloaded adult and child pornography of which about 30 percent depicted minors under the age of 12, said Conley.

Riley also distributed many images over the internet on a peer-to-peer file sharing network, which Conley said further re-victimized the minors.

After pleading guilty earlier this year to possessing child pornography Riley faced a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence because he had been convicted of the same offense in October 2009 in El Paso, Texas, where he was stationed while in the U.S. Army.

That conviction resulted in a 6.5-sentence and being placed on 10-years supervised release.

Grady was released from prison in August 2015, later moved to Prescott, and was regularly employed, said Conley.

However, he began to violate conditions of his release by buying a cell phone with internet capabilities and using software that would conceal what websites he had visited and files he transmitted and received.

Law enforcement noticed the "sheer scope" of sexually explicit images of minors he shared on the internet which lead to the search warrant and his arrest, said Conley.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Elizabeth Altman said the 10-year minimum mandatory sentence was sufficient punishment and she did not object to Riley serving additional time imposed for violating terms of his supervised release.

Riley's attorney, Peter Moyers, agreed with the government's 10-year sentencing recommendation but asked that a sentence for violating release terms be served concurrent.

Riley appeared to read from a written statement in which he apologized for helping to fuel the demand for child pornography and the additional minors it victimizes. He also apologized to his father for causing his house to be searched and "items taken away," that will not be returned.

Riley said he "was not ready mentally to be a civilian," when he left prison and the military after his 2009 conviction, and did not know "where to ask for help."

He also said he had "no excuses" for his conduct and had turned recently to religion in jail and hoped that "someday there will be a way to get rid of," child pornography.

Riley had advanced to the rank of sergeant while in the Army and had served in tours to Korea and Iraq, said Conley.

Conley told Riley that taking responsibility for his actions was something he had not indicated after his first conviction and it showed that he was making some headway toward avoiding further criminality.

"The progress will come when you get to the core of why you're sitting here today...Whether it's an addiction or something else," Conley said.

Riley failed to complete unspecified counseling during his previous prison term and Conley recommended that Riley complete sex offender treatment and counseling for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Riley's violations of his conditions of release warranted an additional six-month sentence to be served consecutively, said Conley, who would have imposed up to an additional two years in prison.