Property damage

At 1:40 p.m. Tuesday, July 31, police received a complaint from a city staff person who detailed an ongoing problem over the last 18 months of people driving on the grass and gravel area around a public works building at 2550 Meadows Drive. The staff person said a "trail-cam" was installed near the building. The camera showed a vehicle driving with spinning tires throwing gravel up against the building and chipping paint front doors. Sod also needs to be replaced and the driveway needs smoothing from ruts caused by the vehicle's spinning tires.

Bicycle 'trade-up'

• At 7:47 p.m. Aug. 1, police were sent to the 100 block of Lewis Street for a man who reported a mountain bicycle stolen from his garage, the door of which had been left open. The bike's owner said another bike that did not belong to him had been left inside his garage, as if the suspect had "traded-up" bicycles.

• On Aug. 5, a resident in the 200 block of Falls Street reported a vehicle gone through and money stolen from the vehicle. Police noted it is possible that the three juveniles listed below are responsible for this theft.

• On Aug. 3, a resident reported a bicycle stolen about two weeks ago. She said she noticed one day that her bike was missing and another bike was in its place. She said within a few days that bike was also taken. She said the second bike was a city blue bike. She also said her locked vehicle had been gone through but nothing was taken.

A trail of bike thefts

At 3:55 p.m. Aug. 2, police were sent to the 300 block of North Third Street for a report of a burglary in progress. The caller said while he was drinking beer in his shed, a teenager had walked through the shed sayings "yo, yo, yo?" The teenager allegedly walked through the shed, looking through items inside. When the owner said "Hey, what are you doing?" the teenager ran out of the shed, agot onto a bicycle and biked away with two other juveniles. The teens were stopped by an officer, and the suspect identified as a 16-year-old juvenile.

The bicycle the 16-year-old was riding had been spray painted white. According to the police report, spray painting is commonly done to conceal stolen bicycles. The other two teens were detained by another officer. They were identified as two 15-year-old juveniles. The first was riding a purple mountain bike, and the other was riding a bicycle that had been spray painted white. This bicycle was the bike stolen from the 100 block of Lewis Street. The second 15-year-old was recognized as the suspect.

The two 15-year-olds were suspects in multiple burglaries in River Falls over a period of about 24 hours. The first 15-year-old had in his possession a blue glass "one-hitter" pipe, a silver grinder, another "one-hitter" pipe, a blue/green bowl pipe, a ramekin containing a green leafy substance and a "Swisher Sweet" cigarillo.

The three teens are suspected of multiple thefts of bicycles and cash from unlocked vehicles around town.

The 16-year-old was seen on surveillance footage entering a garage in the 1400 block of South Sixth Street. He also allegedly admitted to going through garages and vehicles intending to steal bicycles and loose change. He said he entered a garage in the city and stole a mountain bike. He also admitted to entering an unlocked shed in the 300 block of North Third Street planning to steal bicycles and money, to spray painting the stolen bicycle he had been caught riding, to stealing stealing bicycles in an attempt to upgrade his own bike and to stealing loose change from vehicles. He had exchanged the loose change at the Family Fresh Coinstar machine.

The first 15-year-old juvenile who had been caught with marijuana items in his backpack alleged he had been asked to carry them by the 16-year-old. He also allegedly entered a garage in the 500 block of North Falls Street intending to steal bicycles with the other 15-year-old. He allegedly stole a bicycle from the 500 block of Falls Street but abandoned it when spotted by the owner. The bicycle was damaged when it was abandoned.

He said one of the "one-hitter" marijuana pipes in his backpack belonged to him. The other 15-year-old admitted to entering the garage at 500 N. Falls St. intending to steal bicycles with the first 15-year-old.

The second 15-year-old also admitted to entering an open garage in the 100 block of Lewis Street intending to steal a bicycle, to entering a garage in the 1400 block of South Sixth Street with the 16-year-old, intending to steal. Items taken included loose change and a cell phone charger. The second 15-year-old also admitted to stealing a bicycle from the 500 block of North Falls Street, but left the bike he had been riding and "traded up" to the one he stole. The bike he had been riding had allegedly been stolen from another garage in River Falls by the 16-year-old.

The second 15-year-old left the bike he stole from the 500 block of North Falls street at a residence in the 100 block of Lewis Street when he stole a different bike from that location, and "traded up."

The second 15-year-old also admitted to spray painting a bicycle white to avoid the owner recognizing the bicycle.

The teens were referred to Pierce County Juvenile intake.

Sticky fingers

• At 7:59 a.m. Aug. 2, police were sent to the 200 block of South Fourth Street for a damage to property complaint. A man reported his the gas cap and speedometer on his motorcycle had been damaged, worth approximately $500. Someone had siphoned about $5 worth of gasoline for the tank.

• At 9:52 a.m. Aug. 4, a resident reported two interstate deep cycle batteries attached to his camper missing. The batteries, worth about $150 each, had last been seen about two weeks ago.


• At 7:32 a.m. Friday, Aug. 3, police received a report of a possible drunk driver on Cascade Avenue near Main Street. The driver was later found in front of Kinnic Falls Alcohol and Drug Abuse center in the 900 block of Orange Street. When police arrived, they saw three people standing near the roadway by a vehicle. Two individuals were identified as staff. The other was identified as Matt Kevin Staubs, 31, Anoka, Minnesota. Staff told police that Staubs had been driving and may be drunk. Staubs had slurred speech, watery, bloodshot eyes, and a strong odor of alcohol coming from his person. He also had difficulty balancing and leaned against a vehicle while speaking with police.

Staubs was driving a vehicle belonging to Green Oasis, a River Falls landscaping company earlier in the morning. Staubs told police he had last had a drink at about 5:30 a.m. that morning. He allegedly drove to work at about 6 a.m., drove a work truck for awhile, returned the work truck, and returned to the 900 block of Orange Street. He told police he had had "approximately one swallow" of Vodka before operating any vehicles.

Staub refused to complete Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, saying he would like to consult an attorney before taking any tests. He was arrested for operating while intoxicated and cited $924 for OWI and $924 for operating with PAC. When asked if he would provide an evidentiary chemical test of his breath, Staub said he wanted to consult with an attorney. When police said they were not obligated to provide him with counsel at that time, Staub consented to the test, with a preliminary result of .25. He was taken to Pierce County Jail .

• At 12:32 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3, police saw a vehicle drive over the fog line and back into the southbound lane on Highway 35 while driving south. The vehicle went over the fogline again, hit the shoulder, came back in other lane, and over the center line. The windshield was cracked and the muffler inadequate. The driver did not pull over when the officer turned on the squad vehicle's lights, but did when sirens were activated.

The driver identified as September Autumn Lukic, 43, River Falls, told police she didn't know why she had been stopped when asked. She appeared lethargic, slurring her words. She denied drinking any alcohol or taking any drugs. When she had stepped out of her vehicle for standardized field sobriety tests, Lukic said she had been 90 days clean from using methamphetamine.

Standardized field sobriety tests indicated she was intoxicated. However, a preliminary breath test gave a result of zero. Lukic was arrested for OWI and put into a squad vehicle.

Police were given permission and searched her vehicle. They found a baggie and a plastic pipe with a white crystal-like substance inside. Both tested positive for methamphetamine.

Lukic was taken to River Falls Area Hospital. She had three felony signature bonds open in Pierce County. When asked about the items found in her vehicle, Lukic said they belong to her ex-boyfriend. Lukic refused to provide a blood sample, and was taken to the police department.

She was cited $861 for OWI and taken to Pierce County Jail. Charges were not pursued for the meth and drug paraphernalia found inside the vehicle.

• At 4:40 p.m. Aug. 3, police were sent to Kinnic Health and Rehab, where Matt Staub had arrived upon his release form Pierce County Jail after an OWI arrest that morning. Staub was sitting in his vehicle in the parking lot; staff were concerned he would drive away. He did and was pulled over on Cascade Avenue. Police could smell a "heavy odor" of alcohol coming from inside the vehicle. His speech was slurred and his eyes bloodshot and glassy. After performing standardized field sobriety tests he was arrested for OWI and cited. When asked for an evidentiary chemical breath test, he said he would only submit if his lawyer was present. He was then given a notice of intent to revoke his driver's license. He was cited $861 for OWI. His vehicle was towed to the police department impound.

Staub could not find a sober ride He was taken to Pierce County Jail where he received a preliminary breath test result of .309. He as taken to River Falls Area Hospital as his BAC was over .3. A doctor determined Staub was safe to be at the jail.

Flip flop miss

At 1 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, police were sent to the 100 block of North Main Street for a welfare check on a young woman who was upset and believed to be intoxicated. She was walking into Emma's Bar, 222 S. Main St. When stopped, she yelled at police asking why they were talking to her. She was identified as Christina Catherine Kletschka, 20, New Richmond. She alleged she'd had a fight that came to "blows" with her twin sister, but said it was "nothing to worry about." She said she'd tried to reach her father by asking others to use their phones.

Kletschka initially used vulgar language and attempted to throw her flip flops at an officer but missed. Police called Kletschka's father and arranged for someone to pick her up. When informed, she became cooperative and cried, saying she was sorry. She admitted to drinking alcohol and submitted to a preliminary breath test which showed a .158 result. She was cited $187 for underage drinking and was picked up by a neighbor.

You need to pay for that

At 2:07 a.m. Aug. 4, police were sent to Holiday, 302 S. Main St., for a disorderly person. The man, later identified as Gary Lynn Stanz III, was found walking south across the parking lot. When police caught up with him, he seemed extremely dunk. He said he did not taking anything from Holiday and gave police permission to search him. Police did not find any products on Stanz's person.

Store employees told police that Stanz had eaten string cheese and brought other food from the cooked food selection to the checkout area, then refused to pay for it. As it had been handled, it could not be returned to the shelf. Stanz said he had paid for his food and didn't eat anything.

Holiday staff wanted Stanz to pay for the food paid and to be told he was not allowed back into the store. Stanz gave police $6.20 for the food and was given a "trespass notice." Police took him to the place he was staying in River Falls.

ID request turns into arrest

On Aug. 5, police saw a man in Veterans Park who said he had lost his ID, changed his mind saying he must have forgotten it at his residence, and left. Police searched the park and found a cell phone charger and customized bottle cork sitting on the wall. At around 2:17 a.m. police again saw the man, later identified as Tanner Anthony Williamson, 26, homeless, sitting on the deck area of the Best Western. He said the cell phone charger and cork were his. He said he was missing his ID. He gave his contact information in case the ID was turned in. A records check showed that Williamson was wanted out of St. Croix County for an active warrant. Police followed as he left the Best Western and told him to stop and put his hands behind his back. He was detained for the active warrant and searched for weapons. He was arrested and taken to Pierce County Jail.