School District 200 honored some of its own May 13. They honored employees and teachers and also acknowledged the retiring teachers and employees.
- The School District 200 Employee of the Year award went to music teacher/choral director Lin Warren.
- The Education Minnesota Hastings 2009 Friends of Education were Sheila Kllimek and Mike Harris of Cub Foods.
- The Hastings Education Minnesota Teacher of 2009 nominees were Michelle Kirk, third-grade teacher, John F. Kennedy Elementary; Kathy O'Keefe, special services teacher, JFK; Mar Reisinger, kindergarten teacher, Tilden Kindergarten Center; and Glenda Peak, media specialist at Tilden and Christa McAuliffe Elementary.
Kirk was selected for the award.
- Cindy Oppold, math teacher at Hastings High School was a finalist in the state Education Minnesota Teacher of the Year program.
- The 2009 employees of the semester were Scott Aker, Robin Bistzegaoi, Roger Esser, Rochell Gegen, Jennifer Herber, Craig Mares, Merriet Maul, Liz Nelson, Pat Rebarchik, Mary Rowan, Jennifer Seubert and Lin Warren. Warren was Employee of the Year.
- Several district employees are retiring at the end of the school year. They were recognized for their years of service in the district. The retirees, their years in the district, their position and school are Diane Abel, 34 years, Title I lead teacher, JFK; Scott Aker, 34 years, fifth-grade teacher, Pinecrest; Sharytn (Morey) Atvars, 37 years, second-grade teacher, Pinecrest; Joanne Bartron, 25 years, special services teacher, high school; Judy Baumann, 36 years, family and consumer science teacher, Hastings Middle School; Keith Bilger, 28 years, social worker, McAuliffe; P. Karen Carlson, 34 years, technology literature, middle school; Vickie Eischens, 31 years, language arts teacher, high school; Mary Evermann, 24 years, Title I lead teacher, Pinecrest; Diane Filkins, 35 years, first-grade teacher, JFK; Diane Fox, 38 years, first-grade teacher, McAuliffe; Priscilla Handler, 12 years, special services psa, Tilden; Terry Jo Hansen, 12 years fourth-grade teacher, Pinecrest; Joanne Hetzel, 22 years, cook, JFK; Jeanne Hoffman, 24 years, school readiness teacher, Community Education; Jean Johnson, 35 years, language arts teacher, middle school; Sandy Kramlinger, 27 years, ECFE teacher, Community Education; Diana Likes, 42 years, media secretary, high school; Connie Nyberg, 14 years, special services teacher, middle school; Jane Richards, 37 years, second-grade teacher, JFK; Diane Saed, 39 years, language arts teacher, middle school; Laura Scott, 39 years, language arts teacher, high school; Steve Snobeck, 20 years, custodian, middle school; Jo Sweep, 30 years, language arts teacher, middle school; Nancy Techam, 43 years, principal, JFK; and Jim Zywiec, 35 years, fifth-grade teacher, Pinecrest.
Nancy Techam was the employee with the most seniority with 43 years, followed closely by Diana Likes with 42 years. There will be a new person atop the seniority list next year. Ten retiring employees had 35 or more years with the district.
- Honored for 35 years with the district were Burl Dick, Diane Filkins, Jean Johnson, Stephanie Jones, Elizabeth Lein and Jim Zywiec.
- Honored for 30 years with the district were Laura Bolstad, Victoria Eischens, Susan Hames, Dennis Rickert, Joan Slebiska and Duane Swanson.
- Honored for 25 years with the district were Carol Knoll, Chris Maul, Jennifer Sande and Lin Warren.
- Honored for 20 years with the district were Scott Foster, Becky Gartze, Cindy Groth, Joanne Hetzel, Pam Hoffman, John Kost, Julie Lindquist-Peine, Sherry McPherson-Ness, Cari Meredith, Dave Mueller, Mary Jo Myers, Patty Novak, Mary Pasch, Tim Schmidt, Liz Snobeck, Steve Snobeck, Rick Wheeler and Kathee Zeien.