Red Wing Public Schools Food Service is once again serving up free meals this summer to give children and teens access to nutritious food.
Meals are completely free and offered to children age 18 and younger. No pre-registration is required.
The number of area students who qualify for reduced-price meals is on the rise, Food Service Director Brenton Lexvold said. Summer food service helps keep children fed while off from school.
"This type of issue isn't going away, and if anything I do see it actually growing," he said of food insecurity impacting Red Wing children.
He said the expectation is serve about 48,000 meals this summer, including breakfasts, snacks and adult meals. That figure is up about 10,000 meals from 2018.
Rotating menu items include sandwiches, fresh produce, yogurt parfaits and milk.
Meal sites and times this summer are:
• Sunnyside Elementary School: June 10-Aug. 30, Monday through Friday; breakfast is served 8:45-9:15 a.m., lunch is 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Twin Bluff Middle School: June 10-June 28 Monday through Friday, July 15-Aug. 1 Monday through Thursday, and Aug. 12-Aug. 22 Monday through Thursday; lunch is served 10-10:30 a.m.
• Pepin Woods Mobile Park: June 10-Aug. 30, Monday through Friday; breakfast is served 8:30-9 a.m., lunch is served noon to 12:30.
• Red Wing Family YMCA: June 10-Aug. 30, Monday through Friday; lunch is served 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., snack is served 3-3:15 p.m.
• Colvill Family Center: July 15-Aug. 1, Monday through Thursday; lunch is served 10:50-11:30 a.m.
• Anderson Center: July 15-July 25, Monday through Thursday; lunch is served 11 a.m. to noon.
• Building Blocks Childcare and Learning Center: June 10-Aug. 30, Monday through Friday; breakfast is served 7:45-8:30 a.m., lunch is served 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
There will be no meal service July 4 and 5. Additionally, meal sites at parks will not be available when inclement weather is imminent; participants are asked to visit another open location.
Adult meal tickets are available for $4.25 at the United Way office, 413 W. Third St.
Meal site details, menus and information about volunteering with the summer food service program can be found on the district's website, https://redwing.k12.mn.us/page/7238.
Lexvold said it is rewarding work to be involved in the program, and volunteers build a rapport with the children and families who attend the meal services.
Help finding a meal site is available by texting "Summer Meals" to 97779 or calling 800-543-7709.