"Ask The Chief" allows readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs and the department in general.
Submit your question to email@example.com.
Q: Does the Red Wing Police Department have reserve officers, and if so what do they do?
A: Yes, the Red Wing Police Department does have police reserves and they serve a very important role in our department.
Red Wing Police Reserves augment the department by assisting with duties that do not require a sworn officer. Reserves are uniformed, trained in first aid/CPR and in the limited use of defensive tactics. They are considered casual employees, which means they work on an as needed basis, and at least 40 hours per year.
Most of the reserve duties occur during the spring through fall timeframe and include, but are not limited to crowd control, crime prevention patrols, park patrol, festival and parade assistance, and security for dances and high school sporting events. Reserves are paid an hourly wage starting at $12.
Requirements for applying to be a police reserve:
• be at least 18 years of age,
• possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent,
• possess a valid driver's license,
• must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather,
• possess a minimum of six months public contact/customer service experience,
• must be able to obtain CPR/First Aid certification within six months of hire,
• provide documentation of the legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and
• must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Individuals meeting these requirements will be invited to a formal interview and successfully completing the interview will then be provided a conditional offer and asked to complete a driving history and criminal background check. Applications can be found on the city of Red Wing website at: https://www.red-wing.org/Jobs
For more information on the Red Wing Police Reserves, please contact Capt. Gordon Rohr or Sgt. Travis Bray at 651-267-2600.
1. City of Red Wing website, online at: www.red-wing.org