“Ask The Chief” allows readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs and the department in general. Submit your question to askthe.policechief@ci.red-wing.mn.us.

Q: I have two neighbors who don't trim their trees and they block my view of the intersection that I am trying to enter. What is the law about tree trimming on private property?

A: The city of Red Wing does have an ordinance Section 10.13. Tree and Shrub Care that addresses your question about obstruction of view at an intersection. The ordinance reads as follows:

Subd. 1. Care of Street Trees. The city of Red Wing shall have the right to plant, prune, maintain, and remove trees, plants, and shrubs within the lines of all streets, alleys, avenues, lanes, squares, and public grounds as may be necessary to ensure the public safety or to preserve or enhance the symmetry and beauty of such public grounds.

Subd. 2. Removal of Trees Endangering Utilities or Other Public Improvements. The city may remove or cause or order to be removed any tree, shrub or plant or part thereof which is in an unsafe condition or which by reason of its nature is injurious to sewers, electrical power lines, gas lines, water lines, communication lines, sidewalks, curbing, or other public improvements and appurtenances.

Every tree or shrub overhanging any street or right of way within the city shall be pruned so that the branches shall not obstruct the light from any street lamp or obstruct the view of any street intersection, and so that there shall be a clear space of at least 14 feet above the street or sidewalk. Trees and bushes should also not interfere with traffic signs such as speed limit and other regulation signage.

To read the city ordinance go to http://lf.ci.red-wing.mn.us/weblink/0/doc/159293/Page1.aspx

I want to encourage you to contact the Public Works Department at 651-385-3674 to report trees that obstruct your view of any street intersection or traffic signs.


1. City of Red Wing codes/ordinance http://lf.ci.red-wing.mn.us/weblink/0/doc/159293/Page1.aspx