This was a weekend to remember for the South Washington County Thunderbolts.

The Thunderbolts traveled to Stillwater High School for the state tournament in adapted soccer.

After a successful today on Friday and a win on Saturday afternoon, the Thunderbolts were only one win away from winning the state championship.

It came down to a Saturday afternoon game between the Thunderbolts and St. Cloud Area.

It was a battle for 40 minutes, but the Thunderbolts weren't able to win as they fell 3-0 to earn second place in the state.

Even though, the placement wasn't what they were hoping for, it was still an unbelievable season.

The Thunderbolts went through the regular season with a 8-1 record and the only loss coming from Burnsville/Lakeville/Farmington in the last game of the regular season. That loss at the end of the season made it a three-way tie for the conference championship.

The momentum of the regular season carried into the section tournament as South Washington County won the south division and advanced to the state tournament this past weekend.

The Thunderbolts received the No. 2 seed in the top half of the state tournament bracket and played the No. 3 seed White Bear Lake team. South Washington County took home the victory with a 6-3 final score and advanced to the semifinals of the bracket.

In the semifinals, the Thunderbolts took on No. 1 seed Park Center and came out with the victory again with a similar score. The final score was 6-4 and South Washington County was looking at one more win for the state title as the Thunderbolts advanced to the state championship.

In the state title game, the Thunderbolts took on No. 2 seed St. Cloud Area from the bottom half of the bracket. St. Cloud Area scored a couple goals early in the game to take a 2-0 lead heading into the half.

South Washington County came out aggressive and eager to score in the second half, but a strong defense on both teams didn't allow for too many goals. The only goal scored between both teams in the second half came from St. Cloud Area to make it a 3-0 lead and, eventually, the final score.

It was a tough way to end the season, but the Thunderbolts held their second-place trophy high in the air after receiving the award. Along with the trophy, there were many smiles between the players, coaches and fans that came out for the weekend.

Along with the second-place trophy, three of the players on the Thunderbolts were named to the All-Tournament Team. Devon Lanz, Jack Swedahl and Tyler Tinucci were the three named to the team.

There were many memories shared throughout the season and, luckily head coach John Culbertson will have many more the next season.

The Thunderbolts only graduate one senior and the rest of the team will be coming back next season. The team will understand what it takes to get back to the state title game and that will be the goal for next season.